Thinking of going the DIY route for a home improvement project? Well you’re not alone. Nearly three-quarters of homeowners have completed a DIY project in the past three years. However, 40 percent of them wished they hadn’t, according to a new survey from home design site Zillow Digs.
Deciding whether to do it yourself or hire professional help is a common question. To help homeowners make better decisions related to tackling home improvement projects, Zillow Digs asked homeowners from around the country which projects they regretted the most and the least. The results of the survey are revealed below.
Top 5 most-regretted DIY projects
1. Add or expand a room (such as a bathroom or bedroom)
2. Refinish cabinetry (kitchen or bath)
3. Refinish basement or attic
4. Reinstall new carpeting
5. Refinish or install new hardwood floors
Top 5 least-regretted DIY projects
1. Replace lighting fixtures
2. Replace cabinet hardware (kitchen or bath)
3. Paint one or more rooms
4. Install new kitchen appliances
5. Replace plumbing fixtures (bath, sink, toilet)
Looking for inspiration for your next home renovation project? Check out Zillow Digs today!